Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Review #4 - JJ Bean











2206 Commercial Dr.
(3 other Vancouver locations and one in North Van)
Open every day 6:00am-10:00pm
604-254-3723
www.jjbeancoffee.com

Everytime I have to go east on the Skytrain I stop here. I wish I had to go east more....

Atmosphere
Rustic. I know some of the other locations have different decors but this one looks a little run down... not is a bad way. Kind of like the old corner store you went to when you were visiting your grandparents. It's comfy.

Wi-fi and Plugins
Good wi-fi (free) but not a lot of plugins.

Espresso Drinks and Coffee
Great. Their espresso always has that full bodied flavor I like, with a hint of sweetness. I enjoyed my 16 oz americano with an apple oatmeal muffin which was still warm... STILL WARM!!! They boast their own roasting facility and therfore always carry a wide selection of roasts. The only one I've ever had out of the store is the Mojo Roast, A chocolaty medium dark. MMMMmmmm chocolaty medium dark...

Food
Other than the muffin, they had a great selection of baked goods as well as a small but diverse selection of sandwiches that weren't displayed. That makes me think that they're fresh.

Service
Aloof would be the best word. It may be that they are so engrossed in making you the best espresso drink you've ever had but I've never had a JJ Bean barista say anything to me. They aren't very engaging. I still go back because of the quality of product but say "hi" or something. Ask me about the weather or if I like the Canucks.... ANYTHING!

Bottom Line
I wish I owned this place. It's awesome. They have a great product and they're a little more focussed on coffee/espresso than the other shops I've reviewed. Less about the food more about the coffee. Now if we could get their baristas talking a little more we might have the best darn coffee joint in the city.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie@The Mommy Miles said...

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE JJ BEAN?!?! I have only been to this location once but I absolutely ABSOLUTELY loved it and yes it is rustic but I think that makes it what it is. I think they have the best coffee in town and their baristas are very well trained. I agree that they are not the most engaging, but I can appreciate their care for the coffee and espresso. The Commercial dr. location is one in it's own and it is wonderful. If you want a nicer, classier JJ Bean you can go to the Main st. one which I usually go to because it is a bit closer to me. But they each have their own personality. JJ Bean is very popular and the shops are all usually pretty crowded which says something for sure. I am in love with JJ Bean :) Maybe I will have to review the Main St location soon.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home